PractiTest Discussion Forum

Unable to import test cases from excel to PractiTest

Hi,

I am attaching the excel template where test cases reside. I tried importing by mapping excel column in PractiTest import screen. On clicking Import it shows following error:
We’re sorry but something went wrong.
We’ve been notified about this issue and we’ll take a look at it shortly. Use the Back button in your browser to return to your previous screen.
If you cannot go back to issues or tests view, then click on each of the links below:
Issues Default View
Tests Default View
TestSets Default View
Requirements Default View

Test case excel template

Hi Irfan,

Kindly note that the Author field should include the email addresses or the EXACT Display name of the desired user. The user needs to belong to the project.

Please revise the file and try to import it.

Thanks,
Christine

Hi Christine,

I tried importing test cases as per your suggestion by providing exact email address and display name but still I could not succeed in importing excel test cases into PratciTest. I am attaching the template for your reference.

Test Steps Template:

Could you please assist in this regard OR am I doing something wrong?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Irfan

Hi Irfan,

Thanks for your reply.

What error message are you getting now? Have you checked the ‘Ignore first row’ checkbox when importing tests?

Thanks,
Christine

Hi Christine,

I have tried by checking and unchecking the Ignore first row check box. In both the cases I see following error:

Regards
Irfan

Let’s have a short session to review this.

Are you available at the moment?

Yes Christine, I am available now.

Regards
Irfan

Sending you a link to the session to your email address.

OK, will check the email.

Thanks a lot Christine for helping in resolving the importing of test case issue.

Following steps were carried out:
I was mapping excel and PractiTest columns wrongly.

Expected mapping is:
If you have excel with columns A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H,I, J with Testcase name, author, description, step name, step desc, step actual results, customer, module, test level, test type respectively, then while mapping in PractiTest provide actual column name.

If PractiTest has mandatory fields in the project under test case then add them to excel and provide the necessary values

If the excel has column A with test case name then in PractiTest provide A under Name field
If the excel has column C with test case description then in PractiTest provide C under Description field

Sample screenshot

Once again, thank you so much Christine for sorting out my importing of test cases issue.

Regards
Irfan

Thanks for your kind reply, Irfan :blush:

How do I import test cases into PractiTest?

There are 2 ways of importing tests and steps into PractiTest. You can import them together in one file, or you can choose to first import tests and then import the steps separately.